Academic writing tutorial service
The University Language Centre offers international students a one-to-one tutorial service to support them with their written academic work. Home students may also be referred for an appointment if they are experiencing particular difficulties.
Each academic writing tutorial is based around a sample of the student's own writing - submitted at the time of making the appointment - allowing the tutor's advice to be tailored to the student's specific needs. Feedback will focus on areas such as structure, referencing and appropriate use of English.
The academic writing tutorial service is available during term-time throughout the academic session (between October and June, excluding the Christmas, Easter and summer vacation periods).
Tutorials last for up to one hour and students are advised that one tutorial appointment per semester is possible.
This service is free of charge to students.
Please note that this is not a proof-reading or correction service and that the University Language Centre does not provide such a service.
How has this service helped students to develop their writing?
We receive positive feedback from students who have used this service during their studies at Manchester.
Below are some comments from students who have used this service and have found the feedback from an experienced language tutor beneficial to their personal academic needs:
“The session was a huge turn around for me. I not only gained better understanding of how to construct paragraphs, sentences and the correct use of grammar but also had better understanding of the use of punctuation as well as good referencing. The session renewed my confidence. “ Law student - March 2011
“I particularly liked the tutor's approach. The in depth discussion of my work exceeded my original expectation when I, encouraged by Rachel Sinnott, requested a one-to-one appointment with the University Language Centre. The practical advice and guidance I was given to use available resources online are assets that I will use actively during my studies at Manchester.” Medical student - November 2010
How does the academic writing tutorial service operate?
- Submit a sample piece of your writing and tutorial request form by email (see below). The writing sample should be a recent piece of coursework or any other piece of your academic work in any stage of its preparation. It must be 900 – 1,500 words in length; if it is any longer, please indicate clearly which portion you wish to have considered by highlighting the text. If your word count is not within the limit, this is likely to delay your appointment booking.
- Please bear in mind that we require at least one week's notice of each tutorial appointment so allow yourself plenty of time if you are working to a submission deadline. Please also be aware that the notice period may be a little longer, particularly during busy periods when there is high demand from students.
- Once your tutorial request form and writing sample have been recevied, you will receive an email offering you a choice of appointment times.
- When your choice has been received, you will need to wait to receive a confirmation email. Your appointment has not been confirmed until you receive this.
- If you find that you have to cancel your appointment, please let us know immediately so that the appointment slot can be allocated to another student. Any failure to attend an appointment without informing us may result in you being denied a tutorial opportunity in the future.
Where will I have my tutorial?
Subject to availability, you have the option of being seen in Sackville Street Building or the Samuel Alexander Building, whichever is most convenient for you. You will be told where your tutor will meet you when your appointment is confirmed.
Can I book more than one appointment?
Normally, we advise that one appointment per semester can be offered (a total of 3 across the academic year). However, if you attend an appointment and either your tutor recommends a follow up appointment, or you feel you need further support, you should contact the Programmes Support Officer in the first instance to check availbility (contact details below). Please note that priority will always be given to those students who have not yet used this service.
How do I book an appointment?
Please send a completed Tutorial Request Form (below) and a piece of writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE QUOTE YOUR FULL NAME AND STUDENT ID NUMBER IN ALL CORRESPONDENCE.
If you have any queries regarding the service, please contact the Academic Support Programmes Officer on 0161 275 3426, email email@example.com or view the Frequently Asked Questions by clicking the link below.
- FAQs - academic writing tutorial service (PDF Document, 50 KB)